End FGM is looking for an ADVOCACY OFFICER (Full time position)
ADVOCACY OFFICER (Full time position)
End Female Genital Mutilation European Network
We are looking for an experienced individual to join us as Advocacy Officer and drive the Networks advocacy strategy and campaigns.
About the END FGM Network
The Network was established in 2014 to ensure sustainable action in the European Union to end female genital mutilation. The Network is based in Brussels and brings together 18 national organisations working in the field of female genital mutilation (FGM) and violence against women and girls.
Female genital mutilation (FGM) is a global human rights violation which exists in Europe. Each year, 180.000 girls and women in Europe are estimated to be at risk of FGM and 500.000 women and girls are living with the life-long consequences of the practice.
A world where women and girls are empowered and free from all forms of gender-based violence, in particular female genital mutilation, where their voices are heard, where they can enjoy their rights and make informed choices about their lives.
Ø Advocate for a holistic approach to ending FGM and other forms of violence against women and girls at EU level
Ø Create an enabling environment for coordinated and comprehensive action by EU decision-makers and stakeholders
Ø Facilitate the synergy of diverse organisations and the active participation of rights holders
Ø Provide a platform where our member organisations can share their experience and diverse skills.
As Advocacy Officer, you will be in charge of:
· Devising the Networks advocacy strategy and plans;
· Shaping policies and position papers,
· Liaising with relevant stakeholders, advocating towards EU institutions and relevant international bodies and representing the Network at different meetings and events as appropriate
· Participating in relevant EU projects the Network engages in
· Provide training and support on advocacy to the END FGM Ambassadors to help them fulfil the ambassador role as defined by the Network.
· Provide training, advice and support to the members on advocacy at EU and national level.
· Develop, implement and monitor the Networks multi-annual Advocacy Strategy and annual advocacy plans to implement the strategy in consultation with secretariat staff, the Board and the member organisations
· Ensure that a human rights and equality perspective is mainstreamed in all advocacy work, according to EU and international frameworks
· Monitor policy developments at EU and international level and identify policy-related opportunities to raise the issue of FGM
· Advocate for the implementation of EU and international commitments to end FGM, e.g. the EC Communication on FGM and the obligations stemming from the Council of Europe Convention on VAW (Istanbul Convention)
· Liaise and build a dialogue and cooperation with relevant EU and national institutions representatives, stakeholder groups and international organisations
· Draft policy-papers, positions, motions, amendments, submissions and other policy documents that may be required to pursue advocacy objectives
· Structure consultations with members to develop the advocacy products described in previous points
· Build the capacity of member organisations on the structures and functioning of EU institutions and relevant policy and legal processes, documents and tools
· Coordinate with member organisations on upcoming opportunities relevant to the priorities of the Network - Preparing advocacy campaigns and packs for member organisations
· Identify, mobilise and liaise with collaborative partners of the Network
· Represent the Networks positions at events
· Contribute to the development and implementation of Networks events
· Support the Network Ambassadors with regard to their advocacy role.
· Coordinate and implement the endorsement activities for the UEFGM web knowledge platform project (ending in September 2017)
· Coordinate and implement advocacy-level dissemination activities of the EU Change Plus project (ending in January 2018).
Support the communications activities of the Network by coordinating actions with the Communications Officer
Jointly supervise the advocacy assistants with the Director.
University degree in Humanities, Social sciences or Political Sciences
Knowledge and skills
Ø At least 3 years experience in a similar position preferably in the non-profit sector
Ø Knowledge of womens human rights and gender equality, VAWG, gender in development, in particular FGM
Ø Demonstrable experience and skills in influencing policies on womens human rights and violence against women and girls (VAWG) with the EU institutions, with desirable experience in female genital mutilation
Ø Experience of working at EU level and with European institutions, networks and partnerships / Thorough knowledge of the EU institutions and understanding of EU decision-making
Ø Demonstrable experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies, plans and campaigns
Ø Excellent networker and good public speaker, able to represent the organisation to a range of different audiences
Ø Knowledge of and commitment to communicating with a gender sensitive approach and in a human-rights based manner
Ø Commitment to END FGMs mission, vision and organisational values
Ø Professional fluency in oral and written English, very good knowledge of French, other EU languages would be an asset
Ø Exceptional analytical and communication (verbal and written) skills.
Ø Experience of working in an EU institution or an EU Network
Ø Experience of transnational coordination work with member organisations
Ø Experience in development context
Ø Proficiency in use of social media (Twitter, Facebook)
Ø Usually works in an office environment with some travel
Ø The role is required to work 38 hours a week
Ø This is a fixed-term appointment for one year from approximately the beginning of May 2017
Ø In addition to the salary we offer meal vouchers, contribution to transport and hospital insurance.
If interested, please apply by sending a CV, a motivation letter and references in English to email@example.com the 10th of April 5pm CET.
Interviews will be held in the week of 17-21 April; we apologize we will be able to get back only to short-listed candidates.
Mardi 28 mars 2017 / Lundi 10 avril 2017 - 17h00
T. 0032 2 893 09 02http://www.mundo-b.org/fr/Associations/End_FGM_European_Network_.html