We're hiring a Communications Officer
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Part-time position)
The END FGM European Network is looking for a dynamic Communications Officer to be responsible for the Networks communications activities.
The Communications Officer is required to work in the Secretariat of the END FGM European Network to lead the communications work of the organisation in line with the Networks strategic plan 2015-2017.
About the END FGM Network
The Network is based in Brussels and brings together 16 national organisations working in the field of female genital mutilation (FGM) and violence against women and girls. It offers a platform for organisations and women and girls affected by FGM to engage directly with European decision makers. Their experiences and the expertise of member organisations define and guide the Networks calls for European action to end FGM.
Objectives of the post
· Communicate the Networks strategic priorities, positions and messages targeting different audiences the wider public, decision-makers, policy-makers and key stakeholders
· Raise the visibility of the Network and its member organisations.
· Develop and implement communication strategies, plans and campaigns
· Manage the Networks social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter)
· Manage the website
· Update existing contacts databases and mailing lists and create new ones as needed
· Monitor FGM coverage in the news and media and send out FGM in the News email once per week
· Produce the Networks newsletters
· Manage the production both content and format of communications products and materials such as infographics, leaflets, videos, publications, etc. independently and/or with the technical support of external providers in line with the networks brand and style
· Manage the communications aspects of the Networks events
· Proactively engage with media to raise awareness of female genital mutilation in the EU and beyond and to promote empowering, non-stigmatising coverage of FGM Respond to media enquiries
· Contribute to communications-related activities in specific projects
· Contribute to capacity building of the Networks member organisations through training, ad-hoc support and development of tailored tools
· Manage the Networks Ambassadors programme.
The Communications Officer will report to the Director.
· University degree in Humanities, Social sciences, Political Sciences or Communications.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
· 2-3 years experience in a similar position in the non-profit sector
· Experience in developing and implementing communications strategies, plans and campaigns
· Professional fluency in oral and written English, very good knowledge of French, other EU languages would be an asset
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
· Knowledge of the EU institutions and understanding of EU decision-making
· Experience of using and updating website content management systems
· Ability to use social media in a professional setting
· Experience in managing the production of different types of communications products: infographics, leaflets, videos, publications, reports, newsletters
· Capacity to manage contacts data bases
· Experience in interacting with media.
Proficiency in the use of:
· Windows Office
· Social media (Twitter, Facebook)
· Understanding of debates on FGM, violence against women (VAWG) and gender issues
· Technical skills for independent creation of infographics, leaflets or other visual communication tools.
· Experience of working in an EU institution or an EU NGO
· Experience in development context
· Experience in working on gender-based violence and human rights
· Knowledge of graphic applications like for instance Photoshop or Publisher.
· Adaptability: Demonstrate willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
· Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and organisational practices, and ensure that own behaviour is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organisation
· Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally
· Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
· Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organisational effectiveness
· Organise: Set priorities, develop work schedules, monitor progress towards goals, and keep track of relevant data and information
· Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
· Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organisation.
· Usually works in an office environment with some potential travel
· The role is required to work 19 hours a week
· This is a fixed-term appointment for one year from approximately mid-October 2016.
If interested, please apply by sending a CV and a motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org the 10th of September 5pm CET.